Every last Thursday of the month we play Jassen at the club house in Green Point
AGM / Jahreshauptversammlung
Der Vorstand besteht aus: The committee is as follows:
Swiss Rifle Club wins competition
Short history of the rifle club
The Swiss Rifle Club Cape Town was founded in 1949 when some 27 Swiss took part in a Fernschiessen they heard of on the Swiss Shortwave Radio, this was offered by the Swiss National Shooting Federation and they were supported by a South African Police Sergeant Major and to start were given some SA Army issued .303 Rifles. Soon thereafter application was made to the relevant Military Department in Switzerland which was approved and middle of 1950 the first rifles together with ammunition arrived in Cape Town and the first shoot with their new Karabiner Rifles was held on 23. Dec. 1950. Ever since then the club carried on with the sport of shooting and has until now a perfect safety record and is proud of its accident free performance.
The Swiss Choir has been in existence for 27 Years.
As we stopped practices and "Performances" a couple of years ago, the
Huusmusig took over the active part and is going from strength to strengh.
The Twins have joined us for voice support and Heinz is also again part of
us with his "Bassgiige".
This is not (yet?) an actual section of the Swiss Club but it's quite interesting to know that there is actually skiing in the Western Cape. Many thanks to Capestorm for letting us use text and pictures from their events newsletter.
Snow Skiing in the Western Cape – Fact or Fiction?
Come and see for yourself! For many decades Capetonians had heard vague rumours about a winter sports ‘resort’ in the mountains of the Western Cape. Was this merely a myth? Fact or fiction? Here (in a nutshell) is the history behind the Ski Club of South Africa.
In 1928 a couple of ‘Kaapenaars’ returned to South Africa, having learned to ski in Switzerland. The Ski Club of South Africa was subsequently formed, in Cape Town, in 1930 and skiing in South Africa first commenced on Fonteintjiesberg (Hex River mountains). Due to Fonteintjiesberg being declared a water catchment area for Worcester, the Club subsequently re-located it’s activities to Matroosberg in 1936. For many decades the only available accommodation on the mountain was in ‘The Cave’ (directly below the position of the current ‘Top Hut’). The original ‘Base Hut’, built in 1949, was destroyed by fire in 1992 (and a new “base Hut’ built in 1993). The current ‘Top Hut’ (the main Ski Club accommodation on Matroosberg) was completed in 1955 and the current ‘Peak Hut’ was built in the early 1990's. Besides a separate ‘Ski Equipment Hut’, the Ski Club also has 2 permanently positioned, petrol-powered Ski Lifts (“schlep-lift” type) plus 2 portable Ski Lifts (that can be moved to any part of the mountain, i.e. wherever the best snow might lie!).